Martial Arts Instructors
Starting with judo, boxing and karate, Robert continued to study many different styles of Martial Arts from a young age. He has achieved a 5th Dan black belt in Kickboxing, a black belt in Freestyle Karate, a black belt in Kenpo and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Competitively, Robert has won many titles including several World medals – U.S. Open, WKKC World Championships, W.U.M.A. Worlds, Sport Karate Internationals, W.A.K.O. World Championships, W.K.C. Worlds. Robert currently competes as a professional mma fighter as well as in nogi BJJ. He’s a level 3 certified Machine MMA instructor under Ian ‘The Machine’ Freeman. Robert is one of very few professional Martial Arts instructors in this country and he is also involved with several T.V. & film projects.
Some of Roberts achievements
- BLACK BELT IN KENPO KARATE
- 5TH DAN BLACK BELT IN KICKBOXING
- 6 X PROFESSIONAL MMA FIGHTS
- MEMBER OF THE IRISH TEAM AND OVER 8 X WORLD MEDALS
- FOUNDED MARTIAL ARTS INCORPORATED YEAR 2000
- TAUGHT TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE KICKBOXING, MMA AND SELF DEFENCE
- FOUNDER OF THE CLOSE QUARTER COMBAT ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND
- CREATOR OF THE FIGHTING FITNESS PROGRAM COURSE AND DVD SET
- GRADED 25+ PEOPLE TO BLACK BELT AND TRAINED UP SEVERAL NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONS
- TEACHING MARTIAL ARTS FOR OVER 25 YEARS SINCE 1992
- LEVEL 3 CERTIFIED MACHINE MMA INSTRUCTOR UNDER IAN ‘THE MACHINE’ FREEMAN
- COMPETED IN VARIOUS MARTIAL ARTS FOR OVER 20 YEARS
- PAST WRITER FOR COMBAT MAGAZINE
- WRITTEN SEVERAL HIGHLY POPULAR MARTIAL ARTS EBOOKS & ARTICLES
- FEATURED MANY TIMES IN IRISH MEDIA (TV, RADIO, PAPER, MAGAZINE)
- BEEN THE MAIN SUBJECT OF 3 X MARTIAL ARTS DOCUMENTARIES
- ORGANISED & RUN 3 X BATTLE OF IRELAND NATIONAL MARTIAL ARTS COMPETITIONS
- RAISED OVER 30K FOR CHARITY THROUGH VARIOUS MARTIAL ARTS EVENTS
- FOUGHT AND SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE 100 FIGHTER KUMITE
- TRAINED AT BOXING WORKS, TRISTAR GYM, JACKSONS MMA & MACHINE MMA WITH SOME OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN THE SPORT
- MEDALLED AT 2 X NOGI U.K. GRAPPLING COMPETITIONS IN THE ADVANCED CATEGORY
- FOUGHT FOR BAMMA TWICE AND WAS THE MAIN EVENT AT MACHINE MMA 3
SOME NOTABLE COMPETITION WINS INCLUDE:
- US OPEN – Gold
- Sport Karate Amateur Internationals – Gold
- Super Grands World Games – Silver
- WUMA World Cup – Gold
- WUMA World Championships – Gold
- W.A.K.O. World Championships – Bronze
- W.K.A. World Championships – Bronze x2
- European Kenpo Championships – Gold
- WUMA European Championships – Gold – Grand Champion
- Best of the Best Irish Championships – Gold – 5 Times
- Northern Ireland Nationals – Gold – 3 Times
John started training at M.A.I. Dublin 7 as a teenager and went on to attain a strong black belt. John has competition experience and he’s also a fully qualified personal trainer with full gym experience. John’s friendly personality makes him a very popular and well-rounded instructor.
Joe started training with us at the age of 12. He’s gone on to compete nationally and won a gold medal at the W.K.K.C. World Championships. Joe also has amateur mma experience as well as full-contact K1 Kickboxing & Muay Thai experience. Joe is positive and energetic and looking forward to helping you with your fighting fitness goals.
James Mooney was one of the first ever students at our Dublin 15 club back in 2007. Throughout the years he’s helped teach the kids, helped teach courses at various schools and companies and he also has boxing coaching experience. Added to that, James has helped out as club handyman since the club first opened too. He’s an amazingly positive, energetic and motivating coach and his enthusiasm is infectious. James believes in applying a positive attitude with hard but fun training to optimise results.
Declan is one of the only people in this country to have represented Ireland in both Traditional Karate and Kickboxing. Declan has achieved a black belt in Shotokan, a 4th Dan black belt in Kickboxing and a black belt in Sport Karate. Declan has been around the block having studied Martial Arts for over 30 years! He has been teaching Martial Arts for the past 20 years and his enthusiasm is contagious. Declan has been there, done that and is now wearing the T-shirt!
Louise is the regional manager of MAI. She originally took up Martial Arts and Kickboxing to keep fit and she never realised that she would be making a career out of it. Louise loves Kickboxing, MMA training and sparring as well as talking to everyone at the Dojos. Louise was on the Irish Team for the WKKC World Championships and she has won a bronze medal at the US Open World Championship. She has also competed and won at amateur MMA. Louise is a great role model because she successfully proves that women can do it too and just as good.
Despite his quiet exterior, Stephen is a powerhouse at the Dojo. He takes part in everything and is always at the top of the rankings. He exudes calmness and friendliness. Stephen is a true ‘tough guy’ on the inside but he never tries to show it on the outside. If you met Stephen outside the Dojo, you wouldn’t ever guess he is as good as he is. Listen to Stephen and you will definitely do well.
Sinead has risen through the MAI ranks the old fashioned way, with lots of hard work. Her committment to the Dojo is unparalleled and she can be seen training in many different classes from Cardio Kickboxing to Sparring. Sinead is an accomplished competitor and she has made amazing improvements since she first started. Sinead has competed on the Irish Team and is a World medallist. She has also competed and won at amateur MMA. Sinead is looking forward to helping others make the same progress.
Bad Boy Barry is an imposing figure at MAI but he’s always up for the craic at the dojo. Barry has been around since the start of MAI and both he and the club have grown from strength to strength. Barry likes to train hard and amongst his achievements is a silver medal from the WKC World Championships.
Derek started his martial arts training when we taught a course at his secondary school. He’s achieved many things in Martial Arts over the years including being the first MAI 2nd Dan Black Belt. Derek is an extremely technical Martial Artist which is no surprise as he’s also the most educated MAI instructor. He specialises in teaching syllabus and getting the best out of people at belt gradings.
Arnie is the next generation of M.A.I. martial artists. He’s very talented and he has a very hard work ethic. Physical ability combined with tough training gives Arnie a massive step ahead of his opposition. He’s an accomplished competitor with an extremely bright future. When Arnie teaches it’s always a good workout.